Friday, May 11, 2012

"Letting Go"

So this morning I was listening to Boyz II Men's "Pass You By" and it got me thinking about a conversation I had with a friend of mine recently about letting go.  In my young life I will say I have had approximately two serious relationships, one in my early 20s and another in my mid 20s. When I look back at my past relationships, I thank God I had the courage to let go of boyfriends that were verbally abusive or ones that were cheaters (in a relationship with you, but still emotionally attached to their baby mama on the side).

The truth is if you don't let a bad relationship go, you may just be letting real love pass you by. This is not only applicable to love, but also to all aspects of our lives.  The Bible says “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.” When I look back at my relationship with my ex in college, I realized I truly dodged a bullet.  At the time it was hard for me to let go of a good looking intelligent brother, but when I think of some things he said to me like "What are you bringing to the table" after I just got my first job, I realize that he was very condescending and love had blinded my eyes to the fact that he didn't love me like I loved him. I was just never good enough for him. Mind you, I graduated from college with honors in Economics and Accounting, got a job with the #1 accounting firm in the world and instead of my boyfriend celebrating with me when I discussed my salary and offer with him, he just told me you know babe, "nowadays guys are very interested in what a girl brings to the table for them to be serious with her."  Abeg, ki la gbe ki le ju. What if I was a high school drop out, what would he have said to me, I can't even imagine!!!

When I look back at my life the Boyz II Men song resonates to me in every aspect i.e physically and emotionally.  I realize that when friends let you down over and over again, you have to reevaluate your stance with them and maybe move on to better ones. When you are so fed up with that job and you dread each day, then it is time for you to move on to the next call. When life seems very difficult, it is time to let go and be assured that there is always light at the end of every dark tunnel.  

That's my little schpill for the day, I welcome your comments and thoughts.

1 comment: